Well it’s Saturday afternoon in the VIPets household, I have finished my cat visits so it’s time to spend some quality time with the kids. My youngest suggests we make juice, one of her favourite pastimes. There are some floury apples and a few slightly worse for wear pears in the fruit bowl so I core and chop them and we get started.
Once we were done, we had a lovely a jug of juice to enjoy together. However we were left with the conundrum we always have which is, what to do with the pulp? It seems too good to go to waste, so I’m always up for ideas on what to do with it. I used to put it all on the compost, but the heap has got out of control of late and there is far more than we can ever use. I sometimes mix it with water and pour it straight over the garden but there are a lot of seedlings just coming through at the moment so it’s a bit hard too know where to pour it.
That’s when I had my epiphany, why not have a go at making it into healthy dog treats?
We had some brown bananas in the bowl which were still fine on the inside but the kids won’t even look at them if there is a bit of brown on the skin, so I mashed up 6 brown Bobby bananas and added them to a cup of apple and pear pulp. I threw in some rolled oats and blitzed up half a cup of flax seeds to add in too. I used a measuring spoon to shape out even teaspoons on a tray.
I baked these little numbers for 25 – 30 minutes at 150° Celsius in 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, a good fat which is meant to promote a nice healthy coat in dogs. I also sprayed them with raw coconut oil but you can baste them, it will work the same way. It helped to crisp them up and make them nice and chewy on the bottom as well as having the health benefits of coconut oil.
We all couldn’t resist trying one and they were quite yummy, even the kids tried them and ate a whole one each. They were slightly sweet from the fruit and had a nice crispy bottom and good chew. If I was a dog, I think I would like them 😀
So the next step is to take them in to Dogwatch on Tuesday and test them out on the doggies. I am so excited to see if they like them too! I’ll post a video of their reactions on Tuesday afternoon. I think they’ll be a hit 😀
Without further ado, here is the recipe for these homemade dog treats:
- 1 cup apple and pear juice pulp
- 6 small, ripe bananas
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup freshly ground flax seed
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- Preheat your oven to 150° Celsius.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in 2 large baking trays.
- Core your apples and pears taking great care to remove all the seeds as apple seeds contain small amounts of arsenic and can be harmful to dogs.
- Juice apples and pears and retain the juice.
- Grind up the flax seeds in a high speed blender or Nutribullet. Seeds are best ground just prior to use so they are not exposed to the air for too long.
- Mash bananas in a bowl and add pulp, oats and ground flax seeds.
- Spoon teaspoon size treats onto a baking tray containing melted coconut oil. Spray or baste with coconut oil.
- Bake them for 25 - 30 minutes or until golden brown.